View Single Post
Old Dec 04 2015, 01:28 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
- Some users have complained about a Data Usage increase while playing farmtown. We did some research on this and found out that the increase is due to the new facebook chat to the right of your screen that is now shown on all games, facebook is contacting their servers frequently to update the chat screen. However we have noticed that even when you have disabled the chat, the traffic remains. We have created another bug report with facebook suggesting that they remove the chat completely or at least to stop the traffic once you have disabled the chat.
This finally answers many questions for me. I disabled the chat as soon as it showed up because I knew it would cause problems with my connection. So I didn't understand why I still had odd network activity when playing FT, even if FT wasn't doing anything. I chalked it up to all of the updates to fix the game -- that they were still downloading even after the farm had rendered. As soon as I would close the FT window, the network activity would disappear.

Has FB responded to the bug report? This is the first night I've been able to work through my farms without having to constantly close the window, wait for the network activity to stop, and restart FT. Otherwise, I would get constant "lost the connection -- retry" windows. At one point, I left a farm to "save" all night, and the next morning it still wasn't done. Tonight, in comparison, was a breeze. I really hope it's because FB has fixed the problem, and it wasn't just a glitch in their chat, which might raise it's ugly head again.

Thanks for the info on this. I thought i was losing my mind!

Now if they would just do something about the game feeds. Whatever changes they made (which FT devs have worked around) my news feed on my phone is filled with FT game requests. I don't mind it so much, but there's nothing I can do about them on my phone, and was always happy that they didn't show up there -- until a week or two ago.